(unknown charset) Re: The Irony

From: µäv˜äw
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:49:54 +1100

At 11:00 PM 10/03/05, DOddy wrote:
> > 3kg per scimitar?? How /big/ are those things?
>
>About 450 cubic centimetres - say a foot and a half long, an inch
>wide and quarter of an inch thick. I'd say it was rather small even
>if just the blade is iron.

   Those dimensions give 66cc, not 450cc. And that doesn't include the taper to the blade cross-section for it having an edge, which would bring it down to about 50cc.

   I've held an iron (not steel) scimitar that was about 3'4" long (including hilt) and about 3" wide overall. It weighed less than 2 kg (the maker told me it was 4 lb before the hilt was put on).

   A foot and a half is a knife-length; no cavalryman would use a weapon so short.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_gmailNOSPAM.com
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_oraNOSPAMc.net.au
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_yaNOSPAMhoo.com

     I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.