Amount of iron per scimitar?

From: (nil)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:53:43 -0000

> > 3kg per scimitar?? How /big/ are those things?

Donald:

> About 450 cubic centimetres - say a foot and a half long, an
> inch wide and quarter of an inch thick. I'd say it was rather
> small even if just the blade is iron.

Quarter of an inch thick????

Donald, some day we are going to have to meet up and let me show you some swords.

I don't own any scimitars myself, so let me do a quick web-search around some people who make replicas rather than swords for re-enactment use (more likely to get weights right)

http://www.loveleaf.net/sword/hist2.html These ... Scimitar Short Swords feature a fearsome wide , curved blade. This weapon of choice for the great warriors of the middle east is well balanced. They were specially designed for the arab cavalry to cut from horses on the run.
22" length
1.1 lbs

Or for something big
http://www.weaponsemporium.com/WE-Single%20Hand%20Swords.htm Arabic Scimitar: The deeply curved slashing blade of the Scimitar recalls battles between the noble Saracen and the misguided Crusader. =2E.. center balanced, this scimitar would give a fine reckoning on the field of battle. The hardwood grip and hawksbill pommel are typical of the originals. ... This sword was typically hung by a sash and bareblade or wrapped in a cloth and slung on the back.

BLADE LENGTH: 30 1/2"
HANDLE LENGTH: 6 1/2"
OVERALL LENGTH: 37"
WEIGHT: 3lbs 4oz