Re: Orlanthi iron enchanters

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:16:26 +0200

Peter Metcalfe talks some sense into throw-in I brought forth. "Seven Ways to Enchant Iron" - the cults to do it.

SEVEN WAYS OF ENCHANTING IRON (refined)
The most common, the best & easiest ways are listed first.

Inginew, Humakt, Erantha, Urox (The Four Ways, The Redson's Way) Vingkot WW, Babeester Gor, Other (upper, lower & no-way)

The four ways are deep down connected to the magical metalworking. Upper and lower way have more to do with magic than metalworking?

No Way is any way that is not heortling in origin. Be it from Lhankor Mhy, third eye blue, lunars, the blackhorse meldeks or even some totally tricksterous (=insane) Gadblad smith.

INGINEW
I agree that Inginew's is the humakti way of enchanting iron. But I also take a stand that Inginew and Humakt are have both their own right to enchanted iron that somewhat differs.

I look Inginew either as a Son of Humakt or Gustbran's son.
(Humakti know he's Humakt's son, but Gustbran fostered him.)

THE REDSON'S WAY
The four ways share same Heat, -> Lodril : Gustbran : Inginew. Urox's and Erantha's access to this Heat is not very direct. Urox magic has to work through Veskarthen whom the Bull beat up. Maran beat up and imprisoned Vestkarthen with the Lowfires. She therefore is small step closer to enchanting iron. I bet Humakt also beat up Vestkarthen at some instance. The Death God has straight, true connection to Inginew's iron enchanting magics.

Redson is only one of the four for whom things went other way around with Vestkarthen. He was defeated by the Speargod. And he was forced to serve Lodril. That is where he learnt his art. Inginew devotee may learn how to forge Death [Humakt's secret]

UROX, ERANTHA, SUBCULTS?
I agree with Peter that uroxi enchanting their iron horns /personal weapons is rare. It shouldn't be unnecessarily easy. I don't think that Urox had a Subcult for Inginew.
(Hm, the wild, violent and cocky younger days of Redson?)

But one thing should not be overlooked: The Eternal Battle. Occasionally, I think, a Khan or Jarl with magic to enchant iron will emerge, gifted by the Great Bull.

Erantha Gor could be a likely choice for Maran Gor iron? Maran took the name Erantha Gor when she rose to fight uz and valindi. [TiF 62] Iron hurt uz. Erantha's ability to enchant should apply only to her weapons, I think.

Vestkarthen might have "Gingibran Blackson" subcult ...or somesuch. A good suggestion, I am happy to agree with.

TORVALD THE ALCHEMIST
My fumbling take on Torvald should be viewed as humorous and "what if". I do agree on the odds for the event described being nigh to non. Besides, a godly Torvaldi would likely rather suffer torture than expose Torvald's scrolls.

(That's where kings command worshipper comes handy! ;)
(I imagined the king really putting pressure the sage.)
("Pay all debts, even if it breaks you...or yours")

If there was a Torvald sage with Enchant Iron Ritual-talisman, things would change somewhat. Big if. But saying not possible would underestimate Lhankor Mhy.

=T=

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblancce to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -