RE: Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 30

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:06:56 -0000

Me:
> >It was pointed out that the new Roolz talk about the bad effects on
> >magic of non-enchanted iron ("refined" =!= "enchanted"),

Trotsky:
> Doesn't it? Every other 'refined' metal has exactly the same
> effect in HQ that the 'enchanted' metal had in RQ, as far as
> I can tell (rule mechanics permitting, of course). Why assume
> iron is different? Other than to get round the retcon, I mean.

I believe Peter's argument (and I may be misstating it) was that "refining" gives the things like strength, lightness, etc, to all metals. And "enchanting" removes any tendency to mess up magic, again in all metals. It may have other effects as well, of course, or it's hard to see why anyone would bother enchanting for anything other than iron. Presumably the enchantment is also for things like embedding spells in things, putting Humakti Gifts in them, enabling them to hold divine companions, and so on.

I would then assume that RQ didn't bother to distinguish between the two, because if one process was done, so was the other.