RE: Hinkey heroquests

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:49:55 -0000

> Is there such a thing as a reverse heroquest? I.e. the worse
> you seem to do on the actual heroquest the better the final result.

"Hill of Gold" is my immediate thought. But on further reading, it doesn't quite fit, does it?

> Presumably the quester
> misunderstands the nature of the station which actually
> determines the magnitude of the benefit sought. But is it
> 'okay' to have such flawed hero quests where either the
> stations are misunderstood or the result /could/ be
> significantly better than the one the initial quester
> achieved if only it occured to subsequent questers tried?

I have a sneaking suspicion that not only is it possible, it's the norm, if not quite to such extremes.

For a theist, not a God-learner (or a PC!), the object of the HQ is to behave as much like your deity as possible. If they made a "mistake", you make the same mistake, even if you know that doing something else would give better results. You're trying to be like your god, not redefine him. In fact, in some cases the required result may be you and your god learning the consequences of making a certain type of mistake, and therefore not making it again. ("Oops. Killing the sun is bad. Once was enough.")

But, that's theism. I've never got to grips with what heroquests are like for other Otherworlds. What are animists trying to do on a HQ? Emulate a spirit? Emulate a hero?

End of Glorantha Digest