Re: Two Questions on Resurrection

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:26:49 GMT

In message <BE2CF730.7FF6%aelarsen_at_mac.com> Andrew Larsen writes:

>I've got two questions about how resurrection interacts with Heortling law.
>This might have been discussed on the list before, but I don't remember, so
>sorry if I'm dredging up something old.
>
>1) A and B are both Heortlings from different clans (and to keep it simple,
>let's say they're both Orlanthi). They fight, and A kills B. Normally,
>this would allow B's relatives to demand compensation or start a blood feud.
>But then C resurrects B. Leaving aside complications like possible Relife
>sickness, loss of abilities, and whatnot, how does the resurrection affect
>the legal situation that A is in? Has C's resurrection eliminated the claim
>of B's family to compensation? Has the damage been downgraded from death to
>injury? Or does C's family still have a right to pursue a feud with A and
>his family? Does B himself have the right to demand compensation or start a
>feud?

Resurrection is expensive, if C is part of B's family then B's family is still entitled to compensation. If C is part of A's family then the resurection would normally be regarded as compensation. If C is part of neither family there will be a substantial gift owed and A would be expected to make it. If A doesn't then B's family would and claim compensation.

>2) N and M are brothers, or cousins, or otherwise close relatives. N is an
>Uroxi, while M is (for covenience) an Orlanthi. They fight some bad
>people/things, and N frenzies during the fight. At the end of the fight, M
>tries to calm M down, but N attacks and kills M. N has committed
>kinslaying, and has presumably acquired significant ritual stain. But C
>intervenes and resurrects M. How does the resurrection affect N's legal and
>religious status? Is N still guilty of kinslaying, is he still stained, and
>is the community still wounded by the unresolvable crime? Or has C's action
>healed the situation? Is this a 'near miss' for everyone involved (an
>incident to be learned from but without lasting repercussions), or is there
>still a problem within the family and the community?

Uroxi don't regard kinslaying as an evil the way Orlanthi and Ernaldans do. They deal with it the same way they deal with anything else - they challenge the other side to a fight. Often the other side backs down, if not there'll probably be another death.

Legally there's an argument that N was not responsible for his actions and that M should have got out of his way.

This sort of thing is why Uroxi are not popular in clans - there's a risk of kinstrife and other killings which may prove difficult to resolve.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/