Re: Two Questions on Resurrection

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_morat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:52:34 +0000

The first thing to remember that Heortling law is to an extent "what you can get away with". The second is YGMV

>1) A and B are both Heortlings from different clans (and to keep it simple,
>let's say they're both Orlanthi). They fight, and A kills B. Normally,
>this would allow B's relatives to demand compensation or start a blood feud.
>But then C resurrects B. Leaving aside complications like possible Relife
>sickness, loss of abilities, and whatnot, how does the resurrection affect
>the legal situation that A is in? Has C's resurrection eliminated the claim
>of B's family to compensation? Has the damage been downgraded from death to
>injury? Or does C's family still have a right to pursue a feud with A and
>his family? Does B himself have the right to demand compensation or start a
>feud?

As I see it, if C resurrected the victim at the request of the killer that might be a good way to reduce the claim. If not then it's up for grabs - whoever makes the best case (or has the most "pull") will win. C can reasonably expect to receive some of the weregild if it was done at the request of the victims family. I don't think that the resurrector has any direct legal claim on either family unless there is a promise of payment.

>2) N and M are brothers, or cousins, or otherwise close relatives. N is an
>Uroxi, while M is (for covenience) an Orlanthi. They fight some bad
>people/things, and N frenzies during the fight. At the end of the fight, M
>tries to calm M down, but N attacks and kills M. N has committed
>kinslaying, and has presumably acquired significant ritual stain. But C
>intervenes and resurrects M. How does the resurrection affect N's legal and
>religious status? Is N still guilty of kinslaying, is he still stained, and
>is the community still wounded by the unresolvable crime? Or has C's action
>healed the situation? Is this a 'near miss' for everyone involved (an
>incident to be learned from but without lasting repercussions), or is there
>still a problem within the family and the community?

This is a religious and not a legal situation. Resurrection might make atonement easier but I don't see it removing the stain. Well, maybe if the killer used the Lightbringer's Quest to bring the victim back that would be sufficient but I don't think that anything less would be enough

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.