Re: Humakt & Death Bats

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 19:44:37 +0300

> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:04:06 -0400
> From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: Deities of Death

> ...The rest of us mostly discussed whether there was a god of
> Death like the Grim Reaper, transcendent and cross-otherworld,
> and if that was Humakt...

> (I think we ended up with mostly no to the latter, I don't think
> the former has been answered. If music and thievery have
> otherworld spanning religions, why not Death?)

Well my view to the things is that Humakt is - in the end - Death. But it isn't really the heortling Humakt, more like the Great God of Death if you wish to call it so. But I still call him Humakt.

And I think Glorantha gives us resons to.

I mean no disrespect to the myriad odious death-gods of old lozenge. I think they need to get along.

> > Greg Stafford:
> > Blaskarth - the world-killing Bat, of which
> > the Crimson Bat is but a mere shadow...

I imagine this to be THE BAT the blue moon trolls really worship!

I've imagined the Rinliddi Death Bat Goddes being called Artia, and the assasin of Murhazarm, and a daughter of Verithurusa (?), and she sounds petty in comparison...
(since IIRC she is far better renown simply as The Crimson Bat)

I recall that trolls at the Blue Moon Plateau breeded big blue bats that they even flew, and some dark entity was a god of these bats. The Blue Moon Plateau is called Tagor Mahaquata (Unspoken Word: Uz), but GRoY had left me under the impression, that Mahaquata is a mythic enemy entity of the Dara Happans. Can't imagine the digijelm using the same name nor similar understanding, nor nearly same myths.

Is it just my imagination?

[Well, maybe ILH-2 will bring a thing unseen to light!]

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblance to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -