Corn, Beans, Squash and Blood

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:07:36 -0400

On Apr 8, 2005, at 12:00 AM, Light Castle wrote:

> OK, so lets' get specific. I want to write a myth about the three
> sisters (Corn, Beans,
> and Squash). One of those "how this came to be" myths, explaining why
> we grow those
> three together.

Ah, but DO Gloranthan cultures do this? I know what crop mixing method you're talking about--Lots of east coast Indians did this.

But I had the impression (not based on any sources I could cite) that the two big corn growing areas of Peloria and Ignorance rely on Corn corn and blood rather than corn beans and squash.

So maybe this is better off cast as a heroquest waiting to happen--a way for farmers to DISCOVER that growing these three at once on the same plot improves the yields of all three.

But it does need a HQ to make it popular. Or perhaps even true.

Mike Dawson
"And above all, never forget that the pen is mightier than the plow-share. By this I mean that writing, all in all, is a hell of a lot more fun than farming. For one thing, writers seldom, if ever, have to get up at five o'clock in the morning and shovel manure. As far as I'm concerned, that gives them the edge right there."--Willa Cather