Re: Even more Humakt

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:36:30 GMT

In message <42556801.5448.2DAE675_at_localhost> "Light Castle" writes:

>Of course, accepting Babs as the Earth Tribe's Death only makes me want
>to see the Solar Death more. I actually think it could well be a version
>of Humakt now, due to the heavy mixing of the myths. But I would say more
>that they view Humakt as the Orlanthi name for their god of Death. I
>suspect in the Solar version, Yelm (after being killed), has to collect
>and control death for the safety of the world. So he makes someone do it.
>So Death in Dara Happa is a loyal and impartial servent of Yelm, charged
>with this duty. Assuming they know of Humakt at all, it is a case of the
opposite of Elmal. A storm tribe diety who defects to the "proper" side
>and takes responsibility for his actions. He is now neutral and impartial
>death, loyal warrior in the Emporer's court.
>
>(At least, that's how I'd view him. I'm not sure what name I'd give him,
>since I don't want to get into the Peter and Paul argument.)

There is Kazkurtum the Dead God (ILH1 page 25) who appears to be the Solar ruler of the dead. Between him, Shargash, Kastok and Urvairinus I'd say the Dara Happens have it covered without Humakt.

The Lunar pantheon will have their own death god(s) and spirits.

> From: donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk (Donald R. Oddy)

>> I'm sure there are spirits who guide the dead to their destination
>> which is the equivelent.
>
>No, not really. Issaries guides the dead to their destination, but no
>one in the Orlanthi pantheon thinks he is Death in the way Humakt is.

Yes, that's a particularly odd split if you think about it. Two fairly important gods to handle a single thing. And then you've got Asrelia/Ty Kora Tek involved as well. If I was doing a God Learner style analysis I'd conclude that Humakt isn't an Orlanthi diety at all but a foreign import.

I wouldn't assume that the Orlanthi set of gods can be mapped directly onto other theistic pantheons, never mind onto animistic ones.

So turning up the two Unspoken Word books that detail animist traditions we get the Char-un who don't appear to have death spirits at all - indeed binding the spirit of the dead into the material plance is regarded as an honour. Then the Uz have the Jeset practice which is the Ferryman of the dead taking them to Wonderhome in the underworld.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/