Even more Humakt

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:04:01 -0400

On 6 Apr 2005 at 16:00, wrote Simon Hibbs <simon.hibbs_at_gmail.com> :
> At times Humakti talk about death as being a power of Humakt, at
> others they talk about Humakt being death. I think they would see this
> as being a limitation of human language and mortal comprehension
> though. For them Humakt is all death.

I can accept that Humakti see him as all death, even as they say he rejects certain forms of death. (Depending on which myth you want to believe.)

Many poisons in small
> doses can actualy be beneficial, whereas even a blade used in surgery
> is still severing.

That's a nice take on using the Death is Separation bit. I like that.

> From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>

> Seems to me that Babeester Gor is the concentration of all the death
> that the Earth has. I'm sure in their deep rituals, devotees learn that
> until all the death that had come to Ernalda was gathered in one place
> and expelled from Her body, the earth could not wake again.
>
> That was the birth of Babeester Gor, deep in the Darkness, in the
> Valley of the Corpse. All that death exited the Mother, and began
> kicking ass.

I love your Babeester Gor idea. And it certainly makes for an excellent argument for
Babs having Death. (In fact, you can make an argument that while Humakt is the storm
tribe's death, Bab's is the Earth Tribe's one. After all, we only really have her story from
the Orlanthi/Storm Tribe perspective. I suspect in Esrolia she is more rounded out.)

I also love your Screaming Isle idea.

Of course, accepting Babs as the Earth Tribe's Death only makes me want to see the
Solar Death more. I actually think it could well be a version of Humakt now, due to the
heavy mixing of the myths. But I would say more that they view Humakt as the Orlanthi
name for their god of Death. I suspect in the Solar version, Yelm (after being killed), has
to collect and control death for the safety of the world. So he makes someone do it. So
Death in Dara Happa is a loyal and impartial servent of Yelm, charged with this duty.
Assuming they know of Humakt at all, it is a case of the opposite of Elmal. A storm tribe
diety who defects to the "proper" side and takes responsibility for his actions. He is now
neutral and impartial death, loyal warrior in the Emporer's court.

(At least, that's how I'd view him. I'm not sure what name I'd give him, since I don't want
to get into the Peter and Paul argument.)

> From: donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk (Donald R. Oddy)

> Death is God taking the faithful to Solace and consigning the rest
> to Hell. Precise definition of faithful varying by sect.

I think that works fine for the West.

> I'm sure there are spirits who guide the dead to their destination
> which is the equivelent.

No, not really. Issaries guides the dead to their destination, but no one in the Orlanthi
pantheon thinks he is Death in the way Humakt is.

> I don't think disease brings death in Glorantha, nor does poison.
> Humakt brings death to those crippled by either - that is his gift
> and his victory over Mallia and chaos.

That's a really nice way to do that for the Orlanthi.

LC

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 106