RE: Umath & Sons

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:00:55 +0100

  John Galloway

> While we're on the subject, is it true that Humakt, Orlanth,
> Urox, and Vardus are all sons of Umath? Did he have any more?

> There doesn't seem to be much readily available info on the
> the Air/Storm family of gods....

There's KoS. Whether that's readily available, of course... In my case it's sitting next to the PC, so let me check.

P62.
Umath had these sons...
Kolat
Urox
Vadrus
Humakt
Orlanth.

I'm skipping the descriptions here, but those are in order of age.

Then there's the Initiation of Orlanth on p64, about Orlanth and his brothers.

Vadrus
Urox
"the other one"
Humakt
Orlanth

While one might deduce from this that "the other one" was Kolat, in fact what happens to him makes it more likely that he's Ragnaglar. P77 lists him as a brother.

Kolat seems to have been moved up a generation (well, he was the oldest). The "uncles" are listed as:
"Genert, Lord of the Earth
Kalt, the Renewing God
Lodril, lordof Fire
Magasta, the Sea giant
Dehore, Darkness keeper, and some others whose names are not known now."

Back to your first question:
> Umath - where is he now? Was he destroyed by Chaos or is he
> still hanging around somewhere?

P62:
"Umath was no longer able to lead the gods in the struggle for freedom. He had been wounded too many times, and he was no longer safe if he went outside of the camp. When it was clear that he would no longer be leader, he turned over the ring of leadership to his sons."

And since Umath's Camp was on top of the Spike, I'd guess that he went with it. I can't find anything to say so specifically, though.

>Same questions for Vardus.

Vadrus, I take it?

I think he's in either Thunder Rebels or Storm Tribe, and I'm sure I remember Trotsky saying at some point that he's dead. And Trotsky ought to know!