Re: Lunar myths

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:51:19 GMT

In message <425356C0.20322.15ADF7D_at_localhost> "Light Castle" writes:

>> From: donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk (Donald R. Oddy)
>
>> Godtime is very confusing because events don't follow on from one
>> another. They can also be changed by the actions of mortals after
>> time began.
>
>True. But stuff post Dawn doesn't happpen in Godtime, no?

If people are acting on the Godplane then it happens in Godtime.

>> Etyries is a daughter of Issaries so has all his mythology plus a
>> bit about having the truth of the Goddess revealed to her and a HQ
>> to rebirth the Goddess.
>
>But do you really get to do this? Does Etyries get to be a Lightbringer?
>Would not there be Issaries myths she doesn't get? And if she is a
>daughter post the Dawn, how does she get to be the central player in
>his myths?

Since followers of Issaries get all the feats and affinities I can't see why a major hero like Etyries should not. What she did was to make the step from hero to god. Precisely how that works I'm not sure but it seems to make the individual a resident of the god plane, possibly by merging them with a pre-existing god.

>>What probably happened here is that an
>> Issaries trader was involved in the rebirth and subsequently became
>> a goddess herself. This meant that Issaries had a daughter in Godtime
>> who doesn't appear in Heortling myth - the Lunars can be said to have
>> changed Godtime in that respect although equally it has always been
>> true.
>
>So Etyries *always* existed (insamuch as Godtime can be changed) even
>though she was post dawn.

Yes.

>> Yanafal Tarnils is a Humatki resurrected by the Goddess.
>
>And so you say the same thing here. He both was an wasn't always a god?

Yes.

>> Irippi Ontor is a Lhankor Mhy scholar who researched what was
>> needed to rebirth the Goddess.
>
>I thought he was Buserian? (Why on earth would a Pelorian be Lhankor Mhy?)

We don't know he was Pelorian, I may be being influenced by old RQ stuff but he seems to be mythically much closer to LM than Busarian. Could be something else entirely.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/