Lunars and the Gods War

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:21:20 -0500 (CDT)

Friends,

I pick my weary head up from the Fan Policy and, in a moment of relaxation, respond to
> From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
who wonders about the Lunars and the God War.

> But if I am writing up a myth of HonEel for example, is it in God time or
> not?

Both of course.
HonEel lived and acted in the realm of History, within Time. She did great things and is worshipped for it.
BUT the magic that she used was not created in History. It is from the God Time, the Hero Wars.
To a Lunar heroquester generally goes into the Hero Wars in order to acquire (sometimes to prove) her great magic. But she has to return to the "real" world and use it to impress her worshippers.

>> Their myths took place on this world, the divine world, the sorcerous
>> world,
>> the heroplanes and the spirit world. Just because they were born within
>> time does not prevent their mythology from being found in those places.
>
> So if you do something siginificant enough in this world, the myth
> percolates up into the other worlds?

Not really, sort of, but not quite.
Eventually, perhaps, othe people can visit your famous action in Alkoth (or wherever) to get your magic, but mostly they will go to the Well of Shining Heads where you first got in, in the Storm Age.

This is explained in more detail in ILH2.

> But do you really get to do this?

"Daughter of Issaries" is an outsider perspective. It is a metaphor for her position to the pantheon.

> Does Etyries get to be a Lightbringer?

She never did that quest.

> Would not there be Issaries myths she doesn't get?

Most of them.

> And if she is a daughter post the Dawn, how does
> she get to be the central player in his myths?

She doesn't. Dismiss that she was literally his daughter. That is a comparitive view.

> So Etyries *always* existed (insamuch as Godtime can be changed) even
> though she was post dawn.

No, not true.

>> Yanafal Tarnils is a Humatki resurrected by the Goddess.

That statement is absolutely untrue. Yanafil Tarnils obtained the powers of resurrection himself, based on the knowledge and truths he lerned rom Teelo Imara.

> And so you say the same thing here. He both was an wasn't always a god?

Now you are talking like a Lunar! "We are all immortal!"

>> Irippi Ontor is a Lhankor Mhy scholar who researched what was
>> needed to rebirth the Goddess.
>
> I thought he was Buserian? (Why on earth would a Pelorian be Lhankor Mhy?)

Irippin Ontor was never a worshipper of Lhankor Mhy.

>> Danfive Xaron appears to be a spinoff of a Solar god of criminals.
>
> Agreed.

Umm, not quite right. Complex. Wait for ILH2.

>> Deezola is based on a healing goddess, possibly Azura from the
>> Vrimak pantheon.
>>
>> Teelo Norri was probably a solar equivelent of Voria.

No.

>> Jakaleel I'm not sure about, I've seen her mentioned in connection
>> with trolls but I can't identify a similar troll spirit. Of humans
>> I'd suspect the SurEnslib tradition of Darjiin but I've not seen
>> any writeup of a practice involved with spirits of madness. She
>> may just have been a crazy shaman with no roots who was just what
>> was needed at that point in time.
>
> Also true.

She was a powerful shaman from the Before Dark Tradition.

> But I'm not sure I buy the "they get all the myths of the person they spun
> off of" theory.

You were correct to not purchase it.

>> She who waits is just mysterious, like Ginna Jar.
>
> And has been identified (at least once) as Ernalda.

She Who Waits was Sedenya, waiting to be recognized and empowered. HonEel tricked the Tarshites (who were willing to be tricked) into substituting Her into their rites. But Sedenya is NOT Ernalda, and Ernalda is not REALLY She Who Waits either.

Under the Red Moon is just about finished, much more than it had been and, I am sure, ready to please everyone. Please be patient.

The Fan Policy explanations are just about ready too, and will be posted to the site today or tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 104