(unknown charset) Re: Still more Humakt

From: µäv`Žx
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:34:07 +0100

>Paul Andrew King:
>
>>I Checked the references to Terminatus in GRoY. It turns out that
>>"Terminatus" is identified there as Yelm's murderer.
>
>Terminatus is the _weapon_ by which the Thunderer or Rebellus
>Terminus used to strike down Murharzarm.

See the quote from "The Other" you produce below. It identifies Death as Rebellus Terminus/Erlandus.

>> Terminatus is
>>also identified as Rebellus Terminus and Erlandus (both of which
>>appear on the God's Wall)
>
>They don't. They are identified by Plentonius as being on the
>God's Wall. His particular identifications are forced and wrong.
>Rebellus Terminus (actually given as a title to Umatum) is
>actually VogMaradan, the first male, a entity in Ulerian myth
>that has nothing to do with death.

Possibly, but why would Plentonius make that identification without some supporting tradition ?

>>and both are identified with Orlanth, not Humakt
>
>You've confused between the wielder of the weapon and
>the weapon itself again. Orlanth appears as the Thunderer,
>Lanatum and Rebellus Terminus. Humakt appears as
>the weapon Terminatus.

See above comment. Also remember that even Humakti make a distinction between the power of Death and Humakt (even if at other times they do not). And the second account seems to me to have been influenced by Orlanthi mythology - compare it with the version in "The Other".

>>(although they appear to be distinct and there is another
>>figure on the God's wall - "Oralanatum" - that might ALSO be
>>identified as Orlanth).
>
>And for what possible reason would Plentonius identify
>Orlanth as one of a pair of midgets? Or was he trying to
>make the chief god of the Orlanthi small?

Quite likely - remember that this figure is explicitly identified as a foreign God and the other of the pair is Walindum - presumably Valind. And Lanatum is named as the Thunderer in "The Other".

>>I'm not sure where the identification of Terminatus as either the
>>Dara Happan Death God or Humakt came from.
>
> THE OTHER
>
> Yet this time courage was not enough, and
> Murharzarm was pierced by Death which took
> his Life. We called him Rebellus Terminus, and
> now we know the Barbarians call him Erlandus.
>
> THE DISINTEGRATION OF YELM
>
> Then the Thunderer struck [Murharzarm] with
> another invisible weapon which he called
> Terminatus. [...] Then Murharzarm fell to the
> ground and he died.

So where does Terinatus appear as the Dara Happan God of death ?

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.