(unknown charset) Humakt in Dara Happa

From: (nil)
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:09:10 +1200

Paul Andrew King:

>Me>Terminatus is the _weapon_ by which the Thunderer or Rebellus
> >Terminus used to strike down Murharzarm.

>See the quote from "The Other" you produce below. It identifies
>Death as Rebellus Terminus/Erlandus.

It identifies the _murderer_ of Murharzarm as Rebellus Terminus/ Erlandus but _not_ as Terminatus. Terminatus only appears in the other myth as a weapon.

> >They don't. They are identified by Plentonius as being on the
> >God's Wall. His particular identifications are forced and wrong.
> >Rebellus Terminus (actually given as a title to Umatum) is
> >actually VogMaradan, the first male, a entity in Ulerian myth
> >that has nothing to do with death.

>Possibly, but why would Plentonius make that identification without
>some supporting tradition ?

Because he hates the Ulerian Cult and hates the Storm worshipping Barbarians of the South. Anything on the Gods Wall that he cannot explain, he interprets to make Dara Happa Good and Everybody Else wicked or perverse.

As for the argument of "some supporting tradition", that's rather weak considering that Plentonius spuriously identifies Doburdon as Antirius.

> >You've confused between the wielder of the weapon and
> >the weapon itself again. Orlanth appears as the Thunderer,
> >Lanatum and Rebellus Terminus. Humakt appears as
> >the weapon Terminatus.

>See above comment. Also remember that even Humakti make a
>distinction between the power of Death and Humakt (even if at other
>times they do not).

Which doesn't stop the Dara Happans or anybody else ascribing the first murder to Humakt.

>And the second account seems to me to have been
>influenced by Orlanthi mythology - compare it with the version in
>"The Other".

The influence with Heortling mythology came much later as p87 of the GRAY points out. Since the myth of the Other also mentions Vinakotal and Lanatum and the myth of Yelm's Disintegration doesn't, I fail to see how you can say the second myth was influenced by the Orlanthi with the resulting implication that the first wasn't.

>So where does Terinatus appear as the Dara Happan
>God of death ?

In the myths of the murder of Murharzarm. That is the first time death appears and it is mythically significant in that it results in the destruction of the Empire.

--Peter Metcalfe