Still more Humakt

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:56:27 +1200

Paul Andrew King:

>I Checked the references to Terminatus in GRoY. It turns out that
>"Terminatus" is identified there as Yelm's murderer.

Terminatus is the _weapon_ by which the Thunderer or Rebellus Terminus used to strike down Murharzarm.

> Terminatus is
>also identified as Rebellus Terminus and Erlandus (both of which
>appear on the God's Wall)

They don't. They are identified by Plentonius as being on the God's Wall. His particular identifications are forced and wrong. Rebellus Terminus (actually given as a title to Umatum) is actually VogMaradan, the first male, a entity in Ulerian myth that has nothing to do with death.

>and both are identified with Orlanth, not Humakt

You've confused between the wielder of the weapon and the weapon itself again. Orlanth appears as the Thunderer, Lanatum and Rebellus Terminus. Humakt appears as the weapon Terminatus.

>(although they appear to be distinct and there is another
>figure on the God's wall - "Oralanatum" - that might ALSO be
>identified as Orlanth).

And for what possible reason would Plentonius identify Orlanth as one of a pair of midgets? Or was he trying to make the chief god of the Orlanthi small?

>I'm not sure where the identification of Terminatus as either the
>Dara Happan Death God or Humakt came from.

          THE OTHER

          Yet this time courage was not enough, and
          Murharzarm was pierced by Death which took
          his Life.  We called him Rebellus Terminus, and
          now we know the Barbarians call him Erlandus.

          THE DISINTEGRATION OF YELM

          Then the Thunderer struck [Murharzarm] with
          another invisible weapon which he called
          Terminatus.  [...] Then Murharzarm fell to the
          ground and he died.

--Peter Metcalfe