Telmori

From: Peter
Date: Wed Apr 27 14:00:03 2005

Rob Davis:

> >>Temertain's Telmori bodyguard, when on duty, are in wolf form.

>Me> A bit difficult to do in the dark phases of the Lunar Cycle.

>But as Hsunchen, they can changer when they want can they not?
>Like the Puma people in HQ?

  1. I do think, given the Dragon Pass wargame, that the strength of the Telmori should depend on the phase of the moon which can easily be implemented by tying their magic to the Lunar cycle.
  2. I don't believe that the Telmori can change like the Puma People can as the Telmori are Hsunchen while the Puma People are not. The Telmori may have had the innate ability to change into wolf form whenever they want during the period between Nysalor's gift and Talor's curse. Now their ability is always on at Full Moon and only by practice can they extend it to other days of the week (I think this is non-standard for Hsunchen).

--Peter Metcalfe

Hmmm. Yes, I try and fit my Glorantha in around that original boardgame. Having a look, its their combat skill that is affected entirely by the phase of the moon. You could say that the combat skill is a compsite of their martial and magical prowess.

I wonder then if one could make a case for magic/spirits from the Telmori tradition (if we agree they are animists, which I believe they are) are subject to the phases of the red moon in the same way the Lunar magicians are (HQ page 112). Would this, as I think this would, be a departure from current thinking regarding the Telmori?

Also, I would suggest a table for HQ Lunar magic rather to be;

Dark Lunar Magic x 0.3

Crescent Come x 0.5

Empty Half x 1

Full x 1.5

Full Half x 1.25

Crescent Go x 1

Dying x 0.5

The effect on the Telmori ability to shapeshift would then be that they would be unable to voluntary change into werewolves under the influence of Black and Dying moons. Thoughts?

I am relatively new back to Glorantha after a hiatus of 5 or 6 years. Has the link between the moon and the Telmori been removed, and the Wild Day change coinciding with a full moon only a coincidence?

Regards

Rob