Re: Humakt, ok here goes...

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:11:47 +0300

Sounds like Light Castle had some sort of personal humakti conversion! :)

I think the whys and therefores are a bit too straight cut (Y = a curved blade has been proved better) - the Death gets kinda more complicated, and more intresting in my understanding. The concept of orlanthi 'all', is a good and necessary thing to keep in mind. Also in case of Humakt.

Btw. I've been reading Revealed Mythologies, The Eastern Isles myths I kinda know them now and: I do not undestand jack - I feel humbled. But with Storm Gods I've had relationship with for over fiteen years and I like to think I know them pretty well, and I've also learned to anticipate they will surprise me over and over again. Like reading Thunder Rebels sentence: "Orlanth killed many dragons... and Drathdaw the Stone Dragon that tried to mate with Kero Fin"! (It split me to think about Kero Fin and Orlanth in a different way.)

Overly radical ideas are the best, (and worst but bad ones are usually soon discarded). IMO tehy are the thoughts that develope Glorantha most.

> I think he claims that, yes. And various other deities also seem to
> stake a claim - Ty Kora Tek, frex?

Ty Kora Tek is important in the sense that she is Asrelia's side of the separation of Umath and Asrelia that in storm myths is the cause of all Separation great and small, impartial and otherwise. Separation caused Umath to separate Heaven from Earth which I reckon upon to be the birth of Humath (-> to be Humakt).

The same separation caused Asrelia and Tykora to be separated from each other. One or the other was moved by Umath, (both were but other ways).

> Though I believe Carmanian Humakt does not [have Truth]?

Carmanian Humakt has not. Maybe trough some overlooked subcult, yes? If it had, would it have lost at Castle Blue? Now, there's a meaningless question. Castle Blue surely was not about victory for carmanian Humakt.

> > Why would Death be a storm god?

Death changes and moves all of the world according to its pattern. That is Storm action.

> But on that pan-pantheon idea - never mind pantheons, how about
> Otherworlds? He seems to make an appearance as a Saint as well? Does
> Humakt actually appear in all three (?) Otherworlds? Death is, after
> all, everywhere...

Well, the only place we don't have death is Brithos, and we know He has been there... but Zzabur may have been most opinionated.

> So Humath, son of Umath, "has" Separation and Storm. And other sons of
> Umath, it seems, only have Storm. (Now.)
> Humath becomes Humakt (no Storm powers) when he uses Separation to sever
> from his kin, right? (Which was probably an Arkati ret-con.)

Bogus. Humath wasn't that refined early on. I'd rather call Humath's 'separation' Lebensraum... Humath was foremost actors of Umath's action of creating place for himself and his sons. I call Humath's 'separation' power - Battle. (implying less definite understanding of his true heritage)

> So the next question to my mind is why the other sons of Umath don't
> have Separation powers? And the only answer I can come up with is that
> Humakt nicked them. Yes, his kin-severing was because theft between kin
> is bad, but the reason has been slightly mis-represented... And his
> acquisition of Truth/Honour came *later*. Yes, it's a radical idea that
> I'm not sure if I believe myself.

The things Humakt do seem to be functional towards Humakts calling! (however horrible the acts may be) Jane, you might not be totally wrong.

> There is a myth or two about how Humakt loses or deliberately cuts off
> various bits of himself so as to make himself more "pure". His
> fertility, his emotions, any tendency to cowardice, all colours except
> black, etc, etc. He held on to things like courage, self-control, never
> deceiving yourself, and so on. What happened to the discarded bits? My
> theory is that they gathered together to form another (also incomplete)
> being. Humakt's Other. Trickster. So when we say that Trickster stole
> Death, yes, he did. Well, his original parts did. Only they were part of
> Humath at the time...

There could be some truth there also. I have an understanding of Eurmal as well, and it could be also true. I think Eurmal is the son&daughter of Umath and Uleria and Asrelia. I think he is the original Hara.

The most beloved of all.

I will from now on consider Eurmal (Deathfinder) to be made also of those parts that Humath discarded from himself - as parts of Umath that were (among others) the masculine part of his being.

But I think, what you might miss here Jane, is that the same pattern may wery well convey Humakts power to all other gods&godesses of Death. They are all Humakts others.

Seems like Humath did a real draconic death of the fifth otherworld. Utuma to himself, and from his own bits created the Death /Underworld. Which seems to be the sixth otherworld. (Middle World is the fourth)

Now as I said earlier the "seventh worlds" of Vithalash boggle me.

Then he made that "Utuma" to Havan Vor as well, to get the door open ;)

> Yes, it's another of those perhaps overly-radical ideas. But as far as
> I can see, Humakt and Trickster are *exact* opposites in every possible
> way. And that can't be coincidence.

The real opposition of Humakt and Eurmal is that everybody else has the death from Humakt, Humakt has death from the Trickster which is as backwards as it should be. It isn't coincidence on Humakts part.

Humakt is a Bad Motherf***er.

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblance to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 94