Animism and Chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 14:36:34 +1200

Mikko:

>Me> The material you were relying on was a talk about a
> > draft for HeroWars and was even outdated when that
> > came out (even in HW, one could find animist spirits
> > in the rulebook greater than 10w). Rather unsound
> > foundations for criticizing HQ animism, don't you
> > think?

>No, it is not.

>Peter, you are using the fact that are _some_ examples in the HQ book of
>spirits greater than 10w to debunk my claim.

Given that you were claiming that the spirits were _capped_ at 10w, pointing out that there are some spirits greater than 10w _is_ a refutation whether you like it or not.

>But let's take a specific case then. Jardan teh Warrior practise is a good
>example. With spirits ranging from the defensive Resist Fear 16 to 10w and
>offensive like Flaming Arrow 11 to 9w and Glaring Lance 10 to 5w.
>
>Obviously the Jardan the Warrior animist can be a good match for theist
>starting heroes, and even to some more experiensed ones. But what does he
>do when the theists move on to 2w power levels?

Assuming that both he and the theist now have 1w2 combat abilities, the position is now that:

          Theist uses sword help to augment his sword combat:

                  1w2 + 4 = 5w2

          Jardan unleashes his 5w glaring lance on his lance combat:

                  1w2 + 5w = 5w3.

Even if the theist uses the variable augment rules, he is going to have to overcome a resistance of 1w2 to get a +8 augment. So a theist is still going to have trouble with a animist even if the animist doesn't have better than normal spirits.

> > >but the published examples in the HQ book.

> > What published examples are you referring to?

>The broo are pretty clearly described as animists on page
>207, and Malia (with an extra l though) is detailed a bit further
>on page 149.

Excuse me but your original complaint was about chaos _deities_ not chaos races. The Broos have been animist as far back as Gods of Glorantha or even Nomad Gods (ditto with Malia) so this is hardly a HQ change for the worse.

>Hmm... are there quidelines somewhere to how powerful the chaos
>features (HQ p.208) are supposed to be? At least they aren't
>caused by chaos spirits (like I think it was in HW) anymore.

There are no limits on the strength of chaos features. HW made the chaos features integrated talents which meant they could be improved without limit.

--Peter Metcalfe