Belintar's magic

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:52:19 -0500

On 31 Mar 2005 at 10:00, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org wrote:

> > That's Ronos's interpretation of Belintar's Book. Belintar's Book is not
> > written as a formulary but as a collection of theistic myths. Ronos
> > has simply gotten the wrong end of the stick viz-a-viz the purpose
> > of Belintar's Book. If Belintar had given him a telephone book,
> > Ronos would have made a formulary of that too.

Hah. I like the idea of the formulary out of a telephone book. :)

> I'm sort of with Peter here. Belintar IMO is best covered as a common
> religion covering all of the known worlds.

That the worship of Belintar is a common magic religion certainly works with what is
known in MoLaD. And since he founded wizardry schools and used theist myths, it does
seem that Belintar himself was able to tap all 3 worlds.

I suppose this gets to my ill ease with calling common magic anything that seems to go
across the three worlds. But that is the way things are done in the game, and this list
isn't for rules discussions anyway.

As Peter doubtlessly will
> thoroughly deny (and has done before), IMO his cult was included in the
> sovereignty worship of all the Holy Country and has drawn theist worship
> from that, as well as a form of veneration from the Malkioni and
> pseudo-Brithini and some form of ecstatic (animist) worship by the
> spiritually inclined Kethaelans.

It certainly seems that he managed to be all things to all peoples. I would certainly see
the above as being true.

> There will be no parallel to the Cult of the Seven Mothers, IMO. Philippe
> has produced a cult of Belintar on the kethaela.en.free.fr site which
> seems to work during his presence, and prior to the publication of Masters
> of Luck and Death I penned a hero-band of pharaonic restorators which can
> be found there too, as an attempt how to handle his absence.

I've seen it.

> > Given that the Philosophy can be used by animists and theists, it
> > still seems to me that the Pharaoh's magic is common magic. Other
> > hints are the name of his political organization, the Holy Country, and
> > the significance of Imarja in the Esrolian keyword.

But the Philosophy predates him, and is mystic in origin, according to MoLaD.

> IMO more importantly, there is the Other Side Holy Country which can be
> entered during the Tournaments of the Masters of Luck and Death which has
> all the elements and yet is not an ordinary Hero Plane (i.e. a mythic
> past).

There's that too. While I think common magic is probably the way to handle him in
game, it does seem he is a bit unique, tapping many different sources of power. And
that's fine. I just wanted to know if it was ever established that he was specifically known
to use one of the three worlds exclusively. (I'm talking about him, not his followers.)

> Given the nature of the course of discussions of this on the Digest, I'd
> propose to switch replies to a more private forum, like the Karse Wiki or
> the glorantha-pays-saint yahoogroup which tolerates the occasional
> anglophone exchange.

Well, I can always do the dicussion on glorantha-pays-saint in french if we must. :-)

LC