RE: Kilts and Trewsers: Sense and Seasonality

From: James Holloway <jeh30_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 21 Mar 2005 12:32:22 +0000

Jane Williams wrote:

> We wear shorts in summer and trousers in winter, because that makes
> sense.

And yet, this has not always been the case. I think it was Jonny Nexus who wrote that, if you're like him (or me), most of your friends don't wear a suit to work, or even a collar and tie. In 21st century America (and, to a slightly lesser extent, Britain), it's just not very common anymore. But a hundred years ago, Wilbur and Orville Wright thought that wearing suits was so important that they wore them while flying a possibly deadly experimental aircraft with no one else around.

People very often don't do things that would seem to us to make sense. They do things because that is the way things are done. I can imagine that some troops from the Lunar heartland, having decided that miniskirts are not quite the thing for a region with like ten different words for "bitterly cold rain," might take to wearing trousers in Sartar, much like some Romans did in Britain. But I can also imagine others not doing so -- I mean, wearing *trousers?* Like a *barbarian?*

Vingan clothing might be slightly inconvenient (though, like I said, I personally envision the "skirt" as a symbolic sort of apron thingy), but cult requirements are often inconvenient -- like wearing a fake beard, picking fights with people much bigger than you, or becoming a hated social outcast. Convenience and ease of use are important, but they're not everything.

--
James Holloway