(unknown charset) Re: Identities

From: (nil)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:46:37 -0800

Peter

> > So they made it with an Australian actor.
>
>Mel Gibson was born in the States.
>
>ObGlorantha: This started me thinking about expansive identities rather
>than the traditional exclusive identities. Obviously the Lunars are a good
>example of the former, seeking to portray any mythical or historical
>identity that might have had some higher awareness as being a fully
>fledged Lunar. Loskalm might be another example in labelling Malkioni
>personages that embraced meritocratic attitudes as being precursors of
>the New Hrestoli Church.

I don't think it was emphasized in HQ, so maybe it's no longer considered true (or unusual?), but Heortlings were supposedly real good at "casting" people in certain ritual roles. You're an oppressive ruler? Why then, you must be the Evil Emperor. We have a great ritual for getting rid of those. Would you care to engage in a series of Contests?

(Player seem to do this all the time. "Aha, Lunars! I augment with Hate Chaos!")

In other words, ascribing expansive identities to *others* is common.

I think people often attempt to use expansive identities on themselves but fail. Certainly the Sartarites keep trying to come up with something, but it keeps getting overwhelmed by exclusive identity.

--

David Dunham