Re: Maniria

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:53:50 -0800

Peter

>cannot understand why Maniria has to be populated by seven
>indistinguishable tribes of pig-worshippers.

Pigs have large litters, and their worshippers seem to have a hard time getting along.

I don't think the seven tribes of pig-worshippers mentioned in the sources are necessarily indistinguishable, however. One major point is that some are animists and some theists.

>just because Helerela is depicted as land on the Heortling
>mythic map does not make it so. The Malkioni map for the same era
>depicts a sea in the region of Helerela and so IMO the Helerings still
>had a maritime culture then.

While I happen to agree that mythic maps may be subject to interpretation, I'll also add that this makes it a lot harder to use them in an argument, since interpretations will vary. I think they tend to be like fisheye views (Steinberg's "A View of the World from Ninth Avenue"<http://www.cs.ru.nl/~freek/pics/steinberg.jpg> or <http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/v42/n11/back.html>), less accurate away from the area of focus. It's also possible that the Heortling and Malkioni maps are both correct, but are from a different moment in time.

>Tradetalk #11 describes the Wenelians as having the totems of Stag,
>Otter, Lion, Badger, Boar, Fox, Bull, Wolf, Bear, Beaver, Stallion and
>Hound. Hence to consider them yet another tribe of pig-lover is
>wrongheaded.

Nothing says that hsunchen (sorry, I'm using the generally accepted term and not your narrow version) have to have the same totem, nor that "evolved hsunchen" have to all worship the same deity.

They're pig-lovers because they are (or were) Entruli.

--

David Dunham