Still about iron

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:07:15 +0100 (CET)

Peter Metcalfe continues to advocate a native Loskalmi iron refining technology. A longer reply was just eaten by the webmail client, so only a few notes:

> Loskalm is undergoing a period of development *during* the
> Ban. The latest style of armor that they are wearing is armour
> in the Altinae style

Which may have originated as bronze technology, lacking easy access to either Seshnelan or TEB iron during the Ban.

> The Loskalmi
> are building massive magical palaces to bless the Lords
> Temporal that dwell within them. Even the Genertela Book
> (p19) describes the Loskalmi as replacing the old castles with
> palaces, schools and libraries.

> One simply can't save wealth under such conditions.

One can initiate a healthy economy. A "Wirtschaftswunder".

> And once again, why do you assume that the Castle Coasters
> are the major source of Loskalmi iron? Elder Secrets
> doesn't say anything like this.

ES doesn't single out Loskalm, but IIRC talks about Iron Mountains being the main supplier for Genertela. RQ Genertela Book supports that (Laurmal, Rhys).

Third Eye Blue: did they form after the first Yuko stole the secret and hid his people in Tastolar, or did he come from Tastolar and steal in or beyond Nida?

> There is no source that says humans cannot mine iron.

Agreed. I'd like to restrict this to mining metallic iron from comets, mythical battles or even the collision of the Worlds.

> There is
> a source (ILH-1) which describes a source of iron that the humans
> can obtain without having to go through dwarves and it doesn't
> mention this as noteworthy.

Does it say anything about iron refineries?

>>HeroQuest rules state that metallic iron is the result of Mostali >>alchemy, not metallurgy.

> So Iron can't be mined or smelted? That's contrary to what's
> known about iron from other sources.

What sources? Third Eye Blue know the alchemy, and Iron Mostali know it. Either require the correct ingredients.

One can mine metallic elements. It is done for Real World silver and gold. It was done for Bronze age meteoric iron, too. Which is a state I'm happy to accept in Glorantha.