Re: Cheesy question

From: (nil)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:21:28 GMT

In message=20
<1270.80.130.55.142.1110980230.squirrel_at_webmail.toppoint.de>=20 "Joerg Baumgartner" writes:

>Does anybody happen to know how much cheese can be made from a single
>calf's lab-ferment (won from the stomach)?
>
>(Lab-ferment is the ingredient which separates part of the protein and
>most of the fat as cheese and the rest as whey, which was presumably
>consumed by the herders and cheese-makers as a staple of their diet.)

You don't need any, although it probably speeds up the process.

Simple cream cheese recipe - pour a few pints of milk into a bowl, cover and leave in a warm room for a few days until the solids separate out. Pour off the whey and then drain overnight through a piece of cloth.

That works perfectly well with pasturised milk from the supermarket but probably less well with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. Milk as it comes from the cow would make loads of even better cheese. How the solids content of milk from medieval breeds compares with modern breeds I'm not sure, possibly significantly lower but it's going to be higher than processed milk.

Assuming it is used the quantity won't be high, a few drops in a pail of milk, as it's basically a catalyst rather than an ingredient.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 55