Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 85

From: Paul May <kax_at_orac.net.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:55:56 +1000

At 08:00 AM 31/03/05, MRintasaari wrote:
>Except that you defend against magic with your strongest magical ability,
>surely. And the animist (by the book) _won't_ have several spirits at 1w3,
>he will have several spirits at 10w1(!), and those are at the top-end, at
>least for most traditions.

   An animist's spirits are as big as he/she/it can go and get. It specifies that the ones listed are representative. If you look at the rules, it does say that you can get bigger ones. So if I think I can take on what's needed to get me a 18w4 (if the narrator allows extending the table, 20w3 if not) spirit and I have the HP to spend, I can do so.

>I'm not sure I'm right here, but you people are side stepping the issue.
>Either the animists (by the book) have as much punch as the rest, or they
>don't.

   If I am good enough to have two or three 20w3 spirits and a dozen lesser ones, that's two or three abilities that I can add 20w3 to. Not augment, but add. That would put me in the realm of god-level powers for a short while. Remember, all spirits augment all the time as well, so that's +8 to those abilities all the time and +80 for a little while. If I'm a shaman, I can do that a couple of times a day--it does involve me going and finding them, but if I'm this good I'll do that every time.

   No-one else can add that much. You can look at magic on lots of multiple opponents at this level--think of a shaman with the spirit Spooge Enemy used on a company of soldiers. They'd be resisting a 20w Spooge attack each...

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_gmailNOSPAM.com
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_oraNOSPAMc.net.au
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_yaNOSPAMhoo.com

     I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.