Western Questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:21:02 +1200

Ian Cunningham:

>1) Are there still Hsunchen in Sehsnela? I've read the Issaries page
>on the Hsunchen, but I'm not entirely clear if there are still Basmoli
>hsunchen in the region - are there even /lions/ still in Seshnela?

The Basmoli were cleared out long ago and the nearest Hsunchen are to be found in Ralios. The creatures of Old Seshnela would be creatures like Centaurs - hence there might be manticore and Griffins there. Dragonewts have been mentioned in one source.

>2) What are your thoughts on krjalki saints? I know it'd be completely
>unthinkable in Rokari Seshnela, but the old-style Hrestoli on the
>Castle Coast seem a lot like the type to never throw away a Saint. The
>Christian legend of Saint Christopher Cynecephalos is serving as the
>basis of a Troll Saint in my Glorantha - connections to Stygian
>Heresies and Arkat will be made, of course.

There's unlikely to have been inhuman saints in the castle coast in the first place. The nearest is worship of the Serpent Kings (who had reptilian appendages for limbs). Alternatively the Castle Coasters could worship one of the reptilian brethren of the serpent kings but that would be very very unusual.

>3) Do we ever find out WHY the Luathans destroyed old Seshnela? I've
>got my own game-related theory, but I was wondering if I'd be
>contradicting any established in game reasoning.

My opinion is that the Luathans were recreating the Speaking Tour (a mythic event in Malkioni myth). But when they arrived at Seshnela, they found it blighted by the God Learner's error and so sought to correct it.

>4) And moving south, but staying in the West - the Timinits of
>Jrustela? The online sources I've been able to find aren't clear as to
>their intelligence level.

Glorantha Bestiary gave them non-fixed intelligence (Lucans 2d6 int, myrmidons 1d6+10) but made it clear (at least for the myrmidons) that they do not think or act as humans but are consistent unlike the dragonewts.

> If a
>ship's crew were crazy enough to take, say, a Spider Timinit on board
>- would it be more mentally suited to being a ship's mascot, or a
>cabin boy?

I'm thinking mental health nurse.

--Peter Metcalfe