Still on mysticism

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:49:54 +0300 (EEST)

> Mikko:
>
> >I was talking about _my_ impressions on the material.

> From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
>
> The material you were relying on was a talk about a
> draft for HeroWars and was even outdated when that
> came out (even in HW, one could find animist spirits
> in the rulebook greater than 10w). Rather unsound
> foundations for criticizing HQ animism, don't you
> think?

No, it is not.

Peter, you are using the fact that are _some_ examples in the HQ book of spirits greater than 10w to debunk my claim. I'm talking about the general power level of animists.

Let's see:

Dark Tradition:

Possess with [madness] 10 to 10w
Mob 9 to 5w
See in Moonlight 6 to 5w

Five Spirit Moons Practise:

Sharp Edge 14 to 5w
Induce Madness 15 to 10w

Jakaleel:

Spirits of the Dead 13 to 1w2

Denbitos:

Inferno Destroys magic 10 to 10w3

   ***

The above are the _strongest_ spirits of the first spirit practises detailed in the HQ book. The majority of the spirits in these practises are capped to a much lower level. Denbitos Inferno... spirits stand out, but they are defensive in use, a good counter to the theists warmagic, but not something with which to blow said theist to kingdom come.

I'm sorry Peter, but I don't think you've disproved my point at all. Rather you are sticking to semantics, and avoiding my whole point.

But let's take a specific case then. Jardan teh Warrior practise is a good example. With spirits ranging from the defensive Resist Fear 16 to 10w and offensive like Flaming Arrow 11 to 9w and Glaring Lance 10 to 5w.

Obviously the Jardan the Warrior animist can be a good match for theist starting heroes, and even to some more experiensed ones. But what does he do when the theists move on to 2w power levels?

> A good technique in conducting "civilized" conversations
> is to actually listen to what other people are saying and
> responding constructively. Whereas after the initial
> flaws in your argument were pointed out, you paid little
> attention and continued puling in the same vein.

See above.

> >but the published examples in the HQ book.
>
> What published examples are you referring to?

The broo are pretty clearly described as animists on page 207, and Malia (with an extra l though) is detailed a bit further on page 149.

I can't remember what else I was thinking about, but since primitive people seem to all be animistic (which is all right, of course), and animism seems a bit lacking in power... well, it doesn't seem like a recipy that leads to all that scary broo, for instance.

Hmm... are there quidelines somewhere to how powerful the chaos features (HQ p.208) are supposed to be? At least they aren't caused by chaos spirits (like I think it was in HW) anymore.

        -Adept

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 85