Durbaddath

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:25:00 +1200

Simon Phipp

>Me> Durbaddath's abandonment of Votank is Simon Phipp's interpretation
> > of why the Votanki no longer worship Lions. However the Durbaddathi
> > were still extant in Balazar at the time of the commentary on the
> > GRAY and they may still be.

>Was it? I thought I was saying that Votank is the equivalent of Foundchild.

Griffin Mountain (GC edition p26) describes Votank as a different "god" than Foundchild. Votank is the son of Hearthmother and Hunter and his cult resembles Daka Fal. Since Durbaddath seems to have been the original hunting cult, his worship appears to have been displaced by Foundchild from Prax (which also explains the weakening of Votank into a "eponymous ancestor" as he now is).

> > That is a Yelmic interpretation, not a story known to the Balazarings.
> > It's probably a story about how Durbaddath came to be a Dara
> > Happan cult during the time of Emperor Urvairinus.

>Maybe the Balazarings didn't know because at this time he was not
>connected with Votank, so was not important to the area.

Durbaddath _comes_ from Zarkos, which includes Votankiland. Votank is depicted on the Gods Wall in Dara Happa as being the apparent child of Durbaddath and Uryarda. At the time (during the Golden Age and most probably during the Dawn), Durbaddath was the God of Zarkos. Why there are no Durbaddathi now is an interesting question.

--Peter Metcalfe