Re: Durbaddath

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:47:22 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> Andrew Larsen:
> >1) He abandoned his son Votank, who later refused to accept his
> >amends. Later, he gave Votank to Yelm. (I'm aware this might
> >just be a justification for Dara Happan enslavement of the Votanki.
>
> Durbaddath's abandonment of Votank is Simon Phipp's interpretation
> of why the Votanki no longer worship Lions. However the Durbaddathi
> were still extant in Balazar at the time of the commentary on the
> GRAY and they may still be.

Was it? I thought I was saying that Votank is the equivalent of Foundchild. Exposed by his father in the wilds, a foundling raised by Grandmother Sky and a hunter ancestor of the Votanki. I was just saying that this fits the Foundchikld template. So in my Balazar Votank = Hunter = Ancestor.

Did I mention lions in Balazar? I can't remember.

> >2) Someone beheaded him, and Yelm gave him a lion's head as a
> >replacement.
>
> That is a Yelmic interpretation, not a story known to the Balazarings.
> It's probably a story about how Durbaddath came to be a Dara
> Happan cult during the time of Emperor Urvairinus.

Maybe the Balazarings didn't know because at this time he was not connected with Votank, so was not important to the area.

> >3) Yelm or Lodril defeated him and then gave him a place of honor.
>
> If you look at Anaxial's Roster (p86), you see that Durbaddath resisted
> Murhazarm (mistakenly called Mashunasan) but surrendered to
> Dara Happa after his children were enslaved and served Urvairinus
> loyally. After Urvairinus's death, Durbaddath revolted and his cultists
> were treated as wild animals.

Durbaddath probably gave up his son as an offering to the Emperor in rteturn for being accepted into the pantheon. The fact that Votank and the Votanki were not consulted is irrelevent to everyone except the Votanki.

> Since the chronology of mythical Dara Happa has been distorted
> again and again (in particular some deeds of Urvairinus appear
> to predate Murharzarm and some much later), the chronology of
> the Durbaddath cult during mythic times is probably much more
> complex (that it was favoured by martial periods of Dara Happa
> and condemned during puritanical periods of Dara Happa might
> be a more accurate picture of what happened).

Also, because Votankiland was so remote, it probably wasn't as affected by the Council of Friends and their myth-integration, so the muyths of Durbaddath in Votankiland (Balazar) would have been doubly strange.

How much myth-stretching did the Dara Happans do before the Lunar Empire came around? It looks as though they did a lot of tinkering with the Tests of Empoerorship, due to the HeroQuest Rituals hinted at in GRoY et al, but did they do much more than agree that Yelm = Orlanthi Emperor and Orlanth = The Rebel?

> >I also seem to remember that there's a really famous Durbadathi
> >warrior at the time of the Hero Wars, but I'm blanking on that.
>
> You are probably thinking of Greymane the Lion King. I've heard
> Jeff Kyer suggest that he might be using Pendali influences but I
> think it more probable that Palangio brought Durbaddathi warriors
> to Maniria.

Was Greymane a Durbaddathi? I didn't know that. I'd have thought Basmol would have been a better bet, as they were driven through the area amongst their many defeats. But I've never used or thought about Greymane, so Durbaddath would be OK.

See Ya

Simon