My Humakti conversion

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:47:26 -0400

On 2 Apr 2005 at 10:00, Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi> wrote :
> Sounds like Light Castle had some sort of personal humakti conversion! :)

Well, I did used to date a lot of Goth Girls. :)

> I think the whys and therefores are a bit too straight cut (Y = a curved
> blade has been proved better) - the Death gets kinda more complicated,
> and more intresting in my understanding. The concept of orlanthi 'all',
> is a good and necessary thing to keep in mind. Also in case of Humakt.

Always. As Peter mentioned but did not detail, there are other death gods. How they
apply with the story of Death and its arrival in the world would be interesting. Note that
Zorak Zoran has been called a Death god, even though all he did was steal Death for a
while. (As Orlanth did, as Eurmal did, yet neither of them are death gods.) But maybe to
the Trolls, ZZ has a role truly as a god of death, and not just a warrior who kills.

> Overly radical ideas are the best, (and worst but bad ones are usually
> soon discarded). IMO tehy are the thoughts that develope Glorantha most.

Agreed. Certainly the most interestng to play with.

> Ty Kora Tek is important in the sense that she is Asrelia's side
> of the separation of Umath and Asrelia that in storm myths is the
> cause of all Separation great and small, impartial and otherwise.
> Separation caused Umath to separate Heaven from Earth which I reckon
> upon to be the birth of Humath (-> to be Humakt).
>
> The same separation caused Asrelia and Tykora to be separated from each
> other. One or the other was moved by Umath, (both were but other ways).
>
> > Though I believe Carmanian Humakt does not [have Truth]?
>
> Carmanian Humakt has not. Maybe trough some overlooked subcult, yes?
> If it had, would it have lost at Castle Blue? Now, there's a meaningless
> question. Castle Blue surely was not about victory for carmanian Humakt.

OK, I need a refresher on what happened at Castle Blue. And why do you say so firmly
that Carmanian Humakt doesn't have a truth rune? If anything, given their obsession
with the Truth vs the Lie, I would expect them to have it in spades. (One of the reasons
the brief write up we've seen seems so odd.)

  > > > Why would Death be a storm god?
>
> Death changes and moves all of the world according to its pattern.
> That is Storm action.

So at least in the central Generetala view of Gods and elements and how they work,
Death as a storm god seems to appeal on many levels.

> Bogus. Humath wasn't that refined early on. I'd rather call Humath's
> 'separation' Lebensraum... Humath was foremost actors of Umath's
> action of creating place for himself and his sons. I call Humath's
> 'separation' power - Battle. (implying less definite understanding
> of his true heritage)

Interesting. Battle or Combat? Or just Fighting? Either way, you make a very interesting
case in that the brief Hum'Akt we've seen has as its affinities: Battle, Combat, Death.
(Do any of the Storm Tribe Humakt subcults have Battle?)

> The things Humakt do seem to be functional towards Humakts calling!
> (however horrible the acts may be) Jane, you might not be totally wrong.

I'm leaning more and more to Jane's theory being the most interesting.

> There could be some truth there also. I have an understanding of Eurmal
> as well, and it could be also true. I think Eurmal is the son&daughter
> of Umath and Uleria and Asrelia. I think he is the original Hara.
>
> The most beloved of all.
>
> I will from now on consider Eurmal (Deathfinder) to be made also of those
> parts that Humath discarded from himself - as parts of Umath that were
> (among others) the masculine part of his being.
>
> But I think, what you might miss here Jane, is that the same pattern
> may wery well convey Humakts power to all other gods&godesses of Death.
> They are all Humakts others.

Now that's an interesting idea. Once he found Death once, every one of his "severings"
to control it is in response to some misuse of Death from some other being? But in some
way he was also creating those other beings? Care to show us an example or two?

LC