Re: Humakt, Castle Blue

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 01:06:23 +0300

> I don't know what Castle Blue has to do with Humakt since he isn't said
> to have fought in that battle but the Battle of the Four Arrows of
> Light.

I don't know either. (I just had some thoughts running through my mind, when I wrote the cryptic sentences about carmanian Humakt. I almost erased them, but then decided to just leave the bit as is and continue.) Well I even boggled events together: Castle Blue - Four Arrows of Light.

Let me find out, (Mistakes are made and corrected!)

[Alakoring Dragonbreaker said: "If I could fight the man myself, I'd be so eager that my sword would raise itself from my sheath." The weapon then lifted silently from it's sheath, and everyone knew that the Great Copromise had somehow been broken.] KoS 97

This passage of the story 'Orlanth and Red Goddes' might have a drop to do with Humakt. Is it not an act of god? A portent. An amen. Action of Truth against a Lie. - The story is orlanthi of course; I do not mean it as an example of carmanian Humakt.

Humakt is a god of death and manifests in the swords. I think I could believe Humakt's presence was felt at Castle Blue even though he didn't participate in the fighting. Would you agree?

-Topi

My vibes about The Four Arrows of Light tell me that Victory there was not Humakt's first objective. Not sure if I can explain, though.

> [...]
>
> Which touched off most of this anyway. As I mentioned in an earlier post,
> I have come to
> the thinking of others that the lack of an affinity doesn't mean lack of
> a rune. And as
> example I throw out Orlanth's aspects not all having an air or storm
> affinity. (Indeed,
> Orlanth Allfather has nothing even arguably storm linked.)
>
> > Er... Which one? I seem to remember coming up with at least two, maybe
> > three?
>
> And they are all good. But I was thinknig the Eurmal link in particular.
> The Death as a
> Subset of Separation (at least especially in Theist central continent)
> seems so obvious
> in retrospect that I take it as a given. The Eurmal as his other I am
> adopting because it
> is provocative and interesting.
>
> > And you'll also find a link to "Humakt's Oath"
> > http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/swords/Public/oath.htm
>
> Ahh, Not so much creating the gods as severed parts of himself, but as
> how Death, as a
> Mystery and not simply a Power, changes them all. Which I like very
> much.
>
> > The theory I'm putting in the Earth Tribe one, BTW, is that Babs Gor
> > doesn't have Death, and never had. She's got a distorted version of
> > Life. The psychological theory then dives headlong into over-18 stuff,
> > through sado-masochism and out the other side, to the point that I
> won't
> > be putting it on this list, but I think it makes a weird twisted sort
> of
> > sense.
>
> It does, and I can see what you're hinting at in the story.
>
> What all this has done though, is make me anxious to hear something of
> the other death
> gods. I know very little of the myths about them. Truly Humakt as we know
> him is the
> closest to not only owning death, but Being Death. As has been mentioned,
> he is
> sometimes himself called the weapon that is death. (He is Orlanth's sword
> sometimes,
> and that is sometimes literally, one thinks.) So do any of the others
> have a role like that?
>
> LC
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:36:53 +0100
> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: And more story apologies
> To: "'Greg Stafford's world of Glorantha'" <glorantha_at_rpglist.org>
>

> > Sure. Here's one of mine.
> >
> > http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/stories/humaktearth.cfm
> >
> > you'll find in the intro to that that I wrote it as a dare in
> > response to some Flash about snakes, mushrooms, and badgers.
> > So my apologies if some of it is rather forced as a result.
>
> Reading further, I find some dancing hamsters. I dunno what I was on...

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one   says from bearing any resemblancce to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -