Polymaternity

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:12:49 +0200 (CEST)

Simon Hibbs

> As a general rule I suppose it might be possible for a god to be
> considerd to have more than one mother, though I can't think of any
> example of such a situation.

Heimdall had 9 mothers. Whether simultaneously or consecutively the Edda remains silent.

> I don't think this is actualy true of
> Humakt though. We know who his mother is, and don't have any myths in
> contradiction.

With the usual caveat for divine family links. Odayla is a son or a brother of Orlanth, depending how close to Sylila you ask. Destor is Orlanth as well as a son of Orlanth. Brastalos is sister or niece to Orlanth. Why should Humakt be any clearer than that?