Come the Umbroli

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:49:13 -0700

I must admit, I am not a fan of using the word "hurricane" in Glorantha. Part of this is simply rooted in the meaning of the word.   The word "hurricane" comes from the Carib Indians of the West Indies who called them huracan, probably derived from the Mayan storm god, Hunraken; or the Quiche god of thunder and lightning, hurakan; or other Caribbean Indian terms for evil spirit and big wind. The Spanish modified it to hurricane.   It seems to me the Orlanthi have many more words for types of storms than we do - Ohorlanth, various Umbroli storms, Heler storms, the Defender Wind, the Valind Storm, Vadrudi Storms, the Howler, and so on. Probably all these are lumped together as umbroli or even Orlanthi - which would mean it is more likely that they would say something like Come the Umbroli or Gather the Orlanthi or even Come Great Orlanth, than use a word derived from a Mayan storm god. But that's just me complaining.   Jeff