Re: Oddy is High, Jeff is Hipster cool, and my old web site has gone porno.

From: rjmeints_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:08:13 -0400

Hello All,

The Good Doctor asks:

>On a slightly more serious note, does anyone
>know who owns/is cyber-squatting on
>http://www.glorantha.co.uk/ - it's just that it
>does include a link to an "Adult Sex RPG game."
>What's Issaries Inc. IP policy towards that?

For several years I used the glorantha.co.uk domain to sell my Gloranthan Classics and publish MIG info. How quickly things go to ruin after I abandon the Domain because the Provider was too hard to work with from overseas and they wanted too much money to transfer the domain to another IP.

Rick stands next to Jeff and sticks tongue out at the High and mighty Oddy:

>Donald - you must be high! Of course, UK law does not
>allow derivative works (or ("adaptations") without the
>approval of the copyright owner. Period. Read the UK
>Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (which is
>remarkably similar to - and was modeled on - the
>US Copyright Act). Section 16 specifically provides
>that "The owner of the copyright in a work has, in
>accordance with the following provisions of this
>Chapter, the exclusive right to do the following
>acts in the United Kingdom ...make an adaptation
>of the work."

Thanks Jeff, the next pint is on me. I surfed over to Oddy's recommended sites and saw the blurbs on "adaptations" but thought I'd be taking a risk on speculating how similar that would be to "derivative". Hopefully a legal flame war will erupt, with Oddy going down in flames.

See many of you at Tentacles in May,
Rick Meints
www.glorantha.info
(Issaries approved domain name)