Re: UK Copyright Law

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 02:46:01 GMT

In message <f91200f105042709564dfbf6c9_at_mail.gmail.com> Jeff Richard writes:

>The UK Copyright Act defines an "adaptation of the work" along the
>same lines as a "derivative work" under the US Copyright Act. Either
>is considered an infringement of copyright and subjects the infringer
>to civil and criminal penalties. This isn't surprising - as a general
>principle of the Berne Convention, a copyright owner has an exclusive
>right to make adaptations or derivative works of his copyrighted work.
>How far that protection goes varies from country to country, but that
>is the basic principle of the treaty.

The Berne Convention makes no reference to either "adaptation" or "derivative work" that I can find. There is a reference to "alterations" which is undefined but only states that they "...shall be protected as original works without prejudice to the copyright in the original work."

The difference between the UK "adaptation" and the US "derivative work" I covered in my other post.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/