I'm getting bored of this

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:52:31 -0700

Donald says:
 >The Berne Convention makes no reference to either "adaptation" or
>"derivative work" that I can find. There is a reference to
>"alterations" which is undefined but only states that they "...shall
>be protected as original works without prejudice to the copyright in
>the original work."

 Check out Article 12 of the Berne Convention: "Authors of literary or artistic works shall enjoy the exclusive right of authorizing adaptations, arrangements and other alterations of their works."  Donald - I don't know whose advising you about your own law, but I'd hire someone else. I ran a quick email by a UK barrister who helped me enforce in the UK courts a trade secrets judgment that I obtained on behalf of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) in a Washington state court (which btw is likely how Issaries would likely enforce its intellectual property rights - sue in California and then get the judgment enforced overseas). His response is that in most respects UK Copyright law and US Copyright law are very similar. Main differences are in the work for hire doctrine and moral rights of (authorized) authors - neither of which are relevant to the points you raise.
 Now given that I have a lot of respect for attorneys that have obtained judgments (or at least helped me enforce judgments I obtained over here), and little for the interpretations of legal doctrine given by non-lawyers such as journalists, talk show pundits, and, in this case, software programmers and/or developers, I think this legal flame war ought to end. No disrespect is intended - just as I know very little about designing programming and supporting computer systems, I hesitate to put much faith in a non-lawyer's interpretation of the law - especially when lawyers I've worked with before strongly disagree.
 Jeff

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 134