Blue Book

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 21:27:39 +1200

Mikko:

>Does somebody here have an inkling what is supposed to be in the Blue
>Book?

>The basics of the impersonal, atheistic worldwiev of the Sorcerer's, or
>course, but what else?

Nothing else because the Sorcerer's viewpoint is true that nothing else needs to be included.

>The analogue of course is the Abiding Book. I assume that the Blue Book
>explanes the (Godlearner like) system of runic powers, and gives the
>basic mechanics of sorcery.

>But does is for instance talk about the Celestial Court, and name the
>world Glorantha?

The Celestial Court is considered a pagan abomination that Zzabur destroyed. It is not in the Blue Book because the Book is about Cosmic Truths not Pagan Falsehoods.

Malkioni history knows that the True Beings, who succumbed to the Great Error, raised a Great Mountain to the East in the shape of Malkion's citadel.

>I'd think the original lords and ladies of the Celestial
>Court, and the original elements (Nakala, Zaramaka...) would
>fit well in the atheistic worldview. Not as gods, but as "archangels",
>personifications and guardians of the primal elements and runes.

The primal concepts are impersonal and devoid of personality. The human aspects of the primal concepts are Malkion, Zzabur, Ehilm, Desdoram, Aerlit and others. Many fell victim to the Great Error while others were destroyed during the Age of Destruction.

>These are
>not entities that are worshipped, but rather evoked at magical rituals.

Evoking a human entity is veneration which is not something that the sorcerers would do. Rather they would follow by example which usually means doing what Zzabur did.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 147