Gloranthan technology

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:11:36 -0700

>My model for the Heortling technolgy is the Celts (even if a lot of the
>stuff is actually from the Vikings), and the celts vere quite high-tech in
>their day. ...My point is that the Heortlings (as I see them) are
actually quite >modern in their technology. Good swords, chainmail, well built city-walls, stone
>towers (brochs).

I think that is the case. The Heortlings are excellent workers of bronze, wood and pottery - they are amongst the best in Glorantha. They are poor stone masons (the princes of Sartar were an exception to this, but I think that was part of Sartar's magic and has been lost with the Flame), with their best fortresses dating back to the Dawn Age or before or were built by dwarves. They know how to make windmills (see Old Wind) and presumably watermills.

The big weakness the Heortlings have is their endemic political instability. Any level of organization beyond a clan is extremely tenuous - especially after the collapse of the old Heortling tribes during the late First Age and the loss of the Heortling High King during the Second Age. As a result, it is extremely difficult for their political units to build up surpluses that allow them to sponsor large projects like forts, roads, big armies, palaces, specialized workers and the other accoutrements of "advanced" civilizations. The kingdoms of Sartar and Heortland succeeded in doing this - most others have failed.

>I don't see any need for full platemail and crossbows in the west. The
>west is about monotheism, wizardry and feodalism.

I have no problem with full platemail in the west. It isn't so much a technological issue - it is the resources available to the western political leaders. Heortling leaders have a limited ability to tap the wealth of their people - as a result, a Heortling carl is usually more prosperous than a Western peasant, but a Heortling tribal king is usually less prosperous than a Western baron. A Western baron can afford to have expensive armor and horses made for his handful of elite warriors, a Heortling tribal king lacks the same resources.

Jeff