Cataphracts (and an apology)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 15:27:07 +0300 (EEST)

[Simon]
> The main differences that strike me between knights and cataphracts, are
> that the cataphracts usually used a two handed lance (sometimes mace),
> and I believe emphasised a slower charge and closer formation than
> (oftimes) impetuous knights did. Not a huge difference...

I've been digging into the archaeology and other studies of the Cataphracts recently, and most of what I find agree with you there. Compared to the knights of the medieval era the Cataphractoi seem to have been much less impetious, with a closer formation, "heel to heel" is often used as a description.

Earlier scholars tended to assume that horsemen without stirrups couldn't have been very useful, but this has changed in more modern studies. Stirrups have changed things, of course. Most breeds of modern horse have lost gaits that were favoured in the pre-stirrups era (check the Iceland Pony if you want examples). 1700+ cavalry riding is very different than the martial equine arts of the iron age.

> In my Glorantha there is room for both cataphracts and knights; but I
> favour early knights in chainmail as I feel instinctively they fit in
> nicely alongside the dark age warriors of Dragon Pass.

That works too. I just want to maintain the "ancient greek and persians" feel of the Dara Happans and the Lunars, so I'm working on a lower tech-level.

Platemail in my glorantha is the greek panoply. Heortlings make chainmail and the western Cataphractoi wear full scale mail and armour their horses.

  ***

I wish to apologize for the arrogant way my comments on the four caste system came out. I didn't think outside the box enough to consider non-european analogues for the feodal Westeners. Clever thinking, you people. (I still suspect Greg just had some confused ideas as a young university student, but your logic does have merit).

I still think I'll go with a simpler version. I do admit that the Brithini Talar propably have very little to do with actual warfare. I wish there was more information on whether the Brithini have a strong cavalry tradition or not. I don't remember any writing on it. Parhaps horses weren't around in Danmalastan, and the Brithini only have their super-experienced and ultra-traditional infantry?

        -Adept