"Primitive" Sartarites?

From: "Jane
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:27:10 +0100

<20050516212708.FMWY5678.aamta06-winn.mailhost.ntl.com_at_homemaster> Content-Type: text/plain;charset="US-ASCII"

> FWIW, I do not play up the primitive aspects of the Heortlings in my
> campaigns. They are incapable of political unification, but they are
> one of the more sophisticated and complex Gloranthan cultures. Right
> now my Sartarites are off to Balazar to see a real primitive culture.
>
> Jeff

ISTR the "High Council" writeup ended with the Lunars banning plate armour in Sartar. That implies that they possessed it to ban. Not all that primitive.

[Rob]

I think that was a RQ2 game write up and plate was much more common then in RQ2 (certainly amongst PC's). I have not yet met a HQ/HW Heortling who wears any kind of plate (you know vambraces, greaves and cuirass). Thats the preserve of the scum sucking Lunars (and the officers at that!). YSSLMV and YGMV of course!! ; -D

On a technological note, I have the Heortlings as having a technological base of iron age Britons, (c. 200-100 BC). It is about this time that coins started to be used for trade I think. As a Brit I like to model my favourite Gloranthan culture on Britons rather than Vikings. Has

A significant difference of course is the Heortling Long House as opposed to the Celtic round house. I think they are fairly sophisticated (in relative terms). But I am not an expert at all, just offering it up really.

Regards

Rob