Re: Re: nobles and knighthood

From: Simon Miller <simonmiller60_at_fsmail.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:30:09 +0200 (CEST)

Andrew Barton says of clerics and maces that it's a D&D ism.

Along with Jane, I don't believe this is the case; I'd heard about Odo's club as a child, long before D&D. A quick google has the British Bayeux site saying "When William was planning to invade England, Odo went with the Norman army to England, and as well as leading the prayers for victory he fought in the battle carrying a mace rather than a sword, because although men of the church were not allowed to spill blood, they were permitted to batter their opponents with a club."

Templars used swords I agree, but I don't believe they were in general priests.

I believe when D&D was created, clerics were given maces in homage to Odo (or at least to the stories about him). Takes me back to the village of Hommlet... but I digress from Glorantha. Enough.

Simon

simonmiller60_at_fsmail.net

--

Whatever you Wanadoo: