Re: nobles and knighthood

From: Paul May <kax_at_orac.net.au>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:16:17 +1000

At 09:00 PM 17/05/05, Jane wrote:
> > Huh? Bishop Odo carries a mace. For exactly the same reason that his
> > brother William might - it's a symbol of authority. But it's also a
> > knight's weapon.
>
>Wasn't there also some theory about it not drawing blood, this being a Bad
>Thing for priests?
>
>I'm not claiming there can have been any logic or relation to reality behind
>this theory, but I've heard that it existed.

  Bishop Odo had a personal vow not to deliberately shed blood. If you look at the available images of him at war, the bishops and priests near him have swords.
  Gary Gygax generalised it to all priests of all gods including war gods for D&D, and it's been retconned since in several ways.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_gmailNOSPAM.com
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_oraNOSPAMc.net.au
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_yaNOSPAMhoo.com

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.