Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 161

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:17:24 -0500

> From: Simon Miller <simonmiller60_at_fsmail.net>

> Andrew Barton says of clerics and maces that it's a D&D ism.

(snip)

> Templars used swords I agree, but I don't believe they were in general
> priests.

    This is correct. In general, the Templar rule drew a distinction between knight-monks and the canons (priests) who served them. Some men may have held dual status, but it was uncommon. When the Templar order was dissolved, virtually the only inappropriate thing they confessed to was actually happening was that the priors of some houses were granting absolution for confessed sins even though they weren't priests.

Andrew E. Larsen