Orlanthi and the Seas

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:30:59 -0700

Jane says:
>Nice description, and I think you're right. With one exception that
invalidates the lot. No sea! I always find it terribly hard to remember, or to visualise. A country that's so far from the sea, most of the inhabitants have never seen it. I'm not sure what difference that makes to a culture, but I suspect it's profound. But then, I'm a Brit. A Welsh/Saxon/Viking/Norman mix, who's never lived more than 100 miles from the sea. Would someone who isn't a
fish like to tell us about the importance of water?  This is why I drew on a lot of stories about the nineteenth century American settlement of places like Colorado and Oklahoma (my grandmother's parents arrived in Oklahoma in a covered wagon and settled in a sod hut) when I came up with the Taming of Dragon Pass campaign. Obviously, Denver and Enid are a loooooong way from the sea.  However, many of the Orlanthi core myths come from the Storm Age when Kerofinela was surrounded by the seas (which were later defeated by Orlanth and the Storm Tribe). Even the Orlanthi of Saird have myths about the seas trying to conquer them.
 Jeff
 Jeff