Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 163

From: Paul May <kax_at_orac.net.au>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:22:32 +1000

At 08:00 PM 19/05/05, Jane wrote:
>I always find it terribly hard to remember, or to
>visualise. A country that's so far from the sea, most
>of the inhabitants have never seen it.
>
>I'm not sure what difference that makes to a culture,
>but I suspect it's profound. But then, I'm a Brit. A
>Welsh/Saxon/Viking/Norman mix, who's never lived more
>than 100 miles from the sea. Would someone who isn't a
>fish like to tell us about the importance of water?

  Hmm. I live in Canberra, as far from the sea as Land's End from John O'Groats, or thereabouts. As far as I can see, raiding and hunting and occasionally exploring is what they did on the sea; this can easily be done on land, just more slowly. ;) What changes, I think, is the view of them from other cultures; basically, less 'cool' and more 'scary' or 'annoying.'   I can just see, dimly, a crew of rowdies on a Mastakos/Orlanth-aided flying ship singing about going 'a-Heortling' amongst the Lunar towns...

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_gmailNOSPAM.com
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_oraNOSPAMc.net.au
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_yaNOSPAMhoo.com

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.