Re: Sartarites - Viking or Celtic?

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 00:03:49 GMT

In message <20050519072813.KFWS28553.aamta01-winn.mailhost.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>Over on the HQ list, I think we have further evidence in favour of Celts.
>Look at the Orlanthi songs we sing. Scottish, Welsh, Irish... Would someone
>like to find me a Viking song to adapt? Just one? Did the Vikings ever sing?

Modern Icelandic is pretty close to ancient norse so their folk music is going to be as close as modern Gaelic folk music to their original equivelents.

Answers.com has the following page:

http://www.answers.com/topic/music-of-iceland

One of the links even has an English translation of the main pages:

http://ismus.musik.is/

The problem is that much appears to be 17th - 19th Century church music so may not be quite what you're looking for. The rimur sounds to be a more secular tradition though.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/