Heortlings are Heortlings, not celts or vikings

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:19:16 -0700

>Over on the HQ list, I think we have further evidence in favour of Celts.
 Jane - for the stuff I've done on the Heortlings, I've borrowed bits and pieces from (in no particular order): Norse and Icelandic culture, medieval Ireland, the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, the Celts of Caesar's Gallic Wars, ancient Judea and Israel, the nineteenth century American settlement of the West, general Iron Age Europe, and Vedic India. I don't think it is possible to say that the Heortlings are "mostly Celts" - or even recognizable as Celts. Or Vikings.
 That being said, if I want to give one of my players one non-game book - and only one book - to get into the Heortling mindset, I give them either Njal's Saga or Egil's Saga, depending on which I have handy.  Jeff

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 166