RE: Re: Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 163

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:03:41 +0100

> Hmm. I live in Canberra, as far from the sea as Land's End
> from John
> O'Groats, or thereabouts. As far as I can see, raiding and
> hunting and
> occasionally exploring is what they did on the sea; this can
> easily be done on land, just more slowly. ;)

And hence less scary.

> What changes, I think, is the view of them
> from other cultures; basically, less 'cool' and more 'scary'
> or 'annoying.'

"Cool"? I can't say that's how I've ever seen Vikings. "Bloody terrifying" is a bit closer. "Save us, o Lord, from the fury of the Northmen", and so on. Think Wolf Pirates, not Orlanthi. They come, far too fast, they kill, they leave, and you've got no way of striking back.

> I can just see, dimly, a crew of rowdies on a
> Mastakos/Orlanth-aided
> flying ship singing about going 'a-Heortling' amongst the
> Lunar towns...

I really wish you hadn't suggested that. Now I can see it, too.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 167